Thread: Weather
View Single Post
Old June 2, 2018   #2241
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Gotta gripe for my poor tomatoes - three straight days of rain and fog, no sun = no heat in the greenhouse, and those plants are cold, cold and miserable after 72 hours of temps between 44 and 54 F. Purple on the ribs, yellowing centers on the newest leaves.
Then the sun actually came out nearly 4 in the afternoon, okay I won't complain but we got up to 62 F for a couple of hours, we are now past the hour of direct sun. Maybe tonight will only drop to 50 F, but the forecast is for more FOG and drizzle tomorrow, then showers on sunday... .. no sunshine forecast for two or three more days.
Unheated greenhouse is a bit of a crapshoot, but who can afford a heated one.
I've wondered about the fog. One year we had ten days of drizzle with heavy fog.
Early Spring. Wondered about heating a greenhouse in those conditions. Still designing and
wondering if closer to the home using a blower from wood cookstove heat since it keeps
the house way too warm on a usual day, even fog and rain.
(I have a Newfoundland home a few hours from Bower for those that don't know that)

Fog in Newfoundland can be so thick the visibility is 3 feet. Once we had to pull over and
sleep in the truck for 5 hours until it lifted. We had to tap with our feet to 'feel' the road
off the shoulder.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote