View Single Post
Old December 7, 2008   #27
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

While I completely agree that there can't be hard and fast rules of tomato variety productivity because of the variables, I do feel that sometimes there can be a loose, general consensus on production.

For example, Prudens Purple. I have raised this variety here in southern Indiana for several years. I have always had a decent crop. Sure I have had some years that were better than others but never what I would consider to be disappointing. And my (unscientific) impression of reading through the forums is that other growers often share the same experience. On the other hand I no longer grow Brandywine in my limited space garden. I have never been satisfied from a production stand point. And again my unscientific impression is that a lot of other growers share that feeling also.

Are there exceptions, sure. Do some varieties grow better in certain regions, sure. And under different conditions, sure.

But without actually saying that one will get an absolute amount of fruit every year I do think we might be able to establish that some varieties are generally more or less productive than others. This might be true only in a certain geographic area or might even be true more widely.

What do others think?
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote