View Single Post
Old February 28, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato soup with coconut and mustard seed

This was served to my husband at a dinner by one of his professors. I now make it frequently. Very easy. Can't wait for fresh, garden tomatoes! I'm using a very sweet, strange lemon with a zest that smells like an orange so I use a lot of extra juice.
I've used fresh jalapeños and habaneros from the garden. I seem to like the store bought tomatoes cooked a little longer and I add the peppers so that they can cook, too. Be very careful not to scorch the mustard seeds!

SPICY TOMATO COCONUT SOUP
5 large tomatoes, cored
14 oz. can coconut milk
4 Thai chiles
3 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. mustard seed
l lemon, juiced (potentially more depending on taste)
Salt
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped

Preparation:
In a large stockpot, place tomatoes in bottom down. Cover with water and poach on high heat for approx. 10 min. or until skin begins to peel back from the tomatoes. Remove from heat and drain. Carefully remove the skin from the tomatoes. Place tomatoes in a blender or food processor, add chiles. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add mustard seeds until they pop. Once popping subsides (but doesn't stop) quickly add the tomato mixture, coconut milk, and lemon juice (you may need more depending on preference) and salt to taste. Remove from heat and garnish with cilantro. ★★★★★★★★★★
Serves 6.

SHORTCUT #1--If you are pressed for time, use large cans of stewed tomatoes to 1 can of coconut milk
SHORTCUT #2--Last night I used fresh tomatoes (not poached), and blended them skin and
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote