View Single Post
Old March 29, 2014   #47
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
The stacked cages won't make your yard look nicer! I start my beans in 6-packs, 2 per cell, so I placed 12 cells around the outer edges of a row of 3 stacked cages (2 cells per cage on each side), all one variety. That worked out well.

The year before, I placed the cage stacks as separate islands and planted 3 cells each of 2 varieties per cage. That didn't work out so well. I've also planted beans around the outer edge of a big tomato cylinder, which also didn't work so well because the vines got tangled and the cylinder wasn't tall enough.

I like to be able to pick from 2 sides, and planting in a circle means that some beans are hard to find.
Thanks! I have some nice, new colored cages taking up space in storage. I think they will look much nicer than my big old cattle panels did. If it was just me, I'd do a teepee but I'm afraid it would look a little redneck.
At least now I can plant a few varieties of pole beans. I really want to try Red Bisbee southern peas and red long bean. I'd like to plant Christmas Limas but I think they take longer than I have.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote