View Single Post
Old July 22, 2009   #1
nicu2001
Tomatovillian™

Default First Post - Need help with my container plants, pics, long, etc..

Hi all,

This is my first post in the forum after lurking for a little while. I am in Northern NJ and have tried to grow tomatoes for the first time. I have five heirloom plants going in 20gal smart pots: Yellow brandywine, red brandywine sudduth, black krim, serendipity striped, sweet baby girl.

It rained a lot early in the season and my plants seemed to be thriving. As it has been hotter and sunnier and less rainy, my plants have began to struggle with yellow leaves and wilting. I have used neem oil once and have used foliar fish fertilizer from neptunes harvest twice so far in the season.

If it is ok with you guys, I will show each plant and explain what I see as wrong and maybe you can give me some tips?

Yellow brandywine:

As you can see the bottom is wilting and yellow with a fair amount of dying branches.

Red brandywine:

This has my biggest fruit and was healthy but now the bottom is in trouble too and I don't know why.

Serendipity Striped:

One of the branches on the bottom got away as you can see. This is my biggest plant and is starting to lean. Should I stake the tomato wire to try and help it? Again the bottom is yellowing and I do not see any fruit set yet.

Sweet Baby Girl:

Tons of fruit:

First ones are ripening:

Again, the bottoms are yellowing. I just checked with a moisture meter and all plants are at a 6 (and it rained most of yesterday). I am going to reply with a new post and show my black krim issues. Thanks for any advice you guys can offer and I am happy to take more specific pics if it will help figure out my issues.

Cheers,
Mike
nicu2001 is offline   Reply With Quote