View Single Post
Old December 24, 2017   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Hempel View Post
Whenever I think of TGS and the Sapps, I always think of the superstar cherry tomato they developed -- Black Cherry.

That one tomato is a heckuva legacy.
Fred,it was her now departed husband Vince,a lawyer, who bred that and when it was first listed for sale many bought the seeds I did as well, now that I remember.

I asked Linda what the parents were, making some suggestions, but no,she wasn't talking.

They did the first seed production themselves and those who got seeds had a terrible time getting them to germinate.It turned out that they had included immature seeds,but hadn't realized it.

But once you got a plants up and saved seeds and regrew it,all was well.

I think she apologized for that and offered a new pack of seeds for no charge for anyonewho requested it.

That would certainly be like Linda to do that and she's had to do it several times when something didn't turn out to be what It should be.

With the hybrids, no problem, but with the OP tomatoes she had to contract out and I could list the places she sent starter seeds for that, but won't do that.

But last I knew she was working with Aaron Whaley in Wisconsin son of Kent Whealy, and was more than pleased that he and his workers were producing great seeds.

Fred,I think you are still working with Aaron for seed production as well,you were last time I went to his website/

Carolyn