View Single Post
Old October 6, 2019   #4
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Coastal! I decided to make a separate post about the spider from the beginning until today.

Nan, I was beginning to wonder if the heat would *ever* end! Whew!

Today was field pea picking #5 and it seems to be winding down. Just a half a Walmart bag full, not a full bag. It will soon be time to just let them go and make seed for collection.

However it seems others are starting to discover the pea patch as I found the first few signs of deer munching this morning. I was wondering when that would happen.

There’s no rain in sight through this coming week so the deer browse out in the pastures and woods is disappearing fast. “Oh wow, Myrtle! Look at that nice green stuff in the hooman’s garden. Let’s take a taste…”

This morning I also spied the first few flowers on the Contender bush beans and the deer haven’t touched them yet so Pickles and I will get the netting over those two beds this evening.

I’ve been growing some lettuce in window boxes indoors under the lights. Last week the “Farmer’s Market Blend” (blend of 6 varieties) went out on the porch in the shade. Yesterday the “Oak Leaf Blend” went out and both are on the top of the table now that it’s cloudy and cooler. The market blend will be thinned for salads tonight.

I had left the newspaper on the turnip seeds too long and they had gotten way too leggy. Ruined. So I removed them all, sowed new seed and put the wet newspapers back down. Two days later the seeds were just starting to pop. Since it was still hot I folded the news sections in half and laid them along the sides of the furrow to keep the soil cool. Seems to work just fine until the plants are tall enough to withstand a mulch of leaves. Perhaps I will try this method with carrots in a few weeks.

GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote