Thread: Beans
View Single Post
Old June 21, 2007   #11
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Roc d'Or is an excellent string (bush) bean. I prefer yellow (wax) string beans to green string beans. Even tho I like Roc d'Or I don't grow bush beans anymore. Pole beans have so many advantages over bush beans there's just no way I'd grow bush beans.
I grow the flat pod Italian type pole beans, good flavor and texture tho 2 years ago I tried Kentucky Wonder and it is very good. Flat pod have a different, meatier, starchy (?) taste than the pencil pod so I like the flat pod varieties better than KW but I do like KW. For 10 years I have grown a variety I got from a coworker that he got from an old Italian lady, it is green. I got 2 other varieties from another coworker that his relatives grow in Poland, 1 is green and the other is yellow. Those 2 are so similar to the other 1 that I don't think I could tell the difference in taste or size other than 1 of the 3 is yellow.
I like to steam them and combine all different mixtures of rice, pasta, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, butter (but I prefer olive oil). Rice and beans with olive oil and garlic is all I need to make a simple meal. I can eat that 5 days in a row I love it so much. Chopped parsley or basil is good with that but usually I just put oil and garlic on beans and rice.

Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote