View Single Post
Old August 26, 2013   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Tom, I don't have time to make but a few comments since my surgery is scheduled for this week and I have lots of other priorities right now/

While the Underwood link, which is one I also have, shows what they call King Humbert and speak of Vilmorin, what is shown at Vilmorin, as I typed above, are square looking fruits that are often seen, not what Underwood and some others show.

There was one of your links, I don't remember which one, that did show square looking fruits.

In my 2013 seed offer,seeds produced in the summer of 2012, there were three small red cherries offered;

Durmitor, from Serbia
Nano Cilega, fromItaly
Fiaschetto, from Italy

I had all three grown at home here in 2012 and in my notes I say that Fiaschetto was a small red cherry with a nipple, not square, nothing like that/

Nano Cilega was a small red cherry/

And the best tasting one was Durmitor,also a small red cherry, from Serbia.

I put up a performance thread each Fall I make a seed offe r so that folks can report back what they got, how they liked it,many show pictures, so we'll see what others got for Fiaschetto. I know already that there was probably crossed seed for Durmitor, and I'm curious to see what others got for that one.

Here's my seed offer for 2013, seeds produced in 2012, just so you can take a Look if you want to.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=26028

The Italians keep insisting that King Humbert originated in Italy, I can understand why, but that goes against the Ventmarin info that says it was named in the US in honor of King Umberto. Yes, presumably something brought to the US by Italian immigrants, but unnamed, which was so true of so many seeds brought to the US by immigrants from many countries.

But what Underwood is selling, and refers to Vilmorin, is not what Vilmorin says it should be and I'm glad I copied word for word what was in the Vilmorin English edition of 1885, which I've had for many years.

No nipples were shown on the line drawings from Vilmorin, as noted in what I copied from the description.

So what questions remain?

As I said, you did have one link that showed, in color, the square shape of what Roi Umberto is supposed to be, but I don't have time to go back and note which one it was.

Carolyn