View Single Post
Old May 31, 2017   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I plan to buy an immersion cooker, to use for a hot water bath to sterilize seeds. I will probably get the stick style that hangs over the edge of the pot of water.

Everything I see on Amazon is a cheap brand name thatI don't know. If anyone owns one of these devices, I would be grateful to hear your reviews of it.
I had most o fmy response done, but couldn't think of one person's name, went to fetch it and lost everythng.

There are several threads here at TV about hot water treatment of seeds,but I couldn't find them. There are several commercial companies that offer both hot water treated and non treated seeds for the same variety. So you have to know which diseases are most problematic for you since HWT is done only for certain bacterial pathogens and a few viruses that are found in the interior of the seed. Even if you can hold the required temp for the time it's supposed to be held there is a loss of seed viability.

More important for most are the pathogens that can be found on the exterior of the seed. The woman who did most of that research was at the Geneva NY USDA station when I knew her. She had received grants from both Campbell and Heinz to find the best way to get the pathogens off the exterior, or most of them,since treatment is quantitative, meaning that a certain # of bad guys have to be left on the foliage, in order to initiate infection.

After Googling a bit and tapping my head I remembered who she is.Her name is Dr. Helene Dillard,she went from Geneva to Cornell in Ithaca and that's where I thought I'd find her, but no..she's now Dean at UCDavis in C.

What a remarkable career.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...illard+cornell

So most home growers don't bother to even try HWT b/c of all the pitfalls,and also it doesn't remove many of the pathogens on the exterior, which can be bacterial,fungal and whatever.

Carolyn, now paying attention to the severe weather of awful T storms,hail about one inch and winds up to 60 mph. Me go to bed pull the covers over me head and silently sing songs.