View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012   #73
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
kilroyscarnival
My name was mentioned a few times, therefore, I will chime in.
Thanks, Tom! Makes me think of: Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice...

Quote:
So yes, Yukon Gold and Azul Toro would work just fine.
Noted. A home grown Yukon Gold, would it be much different from a supermarket gold? Smaller, more flavorful?

Quote:
As far as varieties I have to trial in your area....I have quite a few...but you must let me know how big of an area you have to grow potatoes..containers only or do you have a large garden?
Not a large garden, just some small beds and containers in a rental back yard. And I was planning to give potatoes a try in a container like a garbage can unless that's unwise. Before I discovered this thread and the info about TPS, I happened on a few how-tos on the web. I am a newbie gardener on almost all fronts. So far I have some tomatoes from starter plants, and a bunch of five-week seedlings of various types, some zukes and cukes, lettuces in boxes, carrots, couple of sweet and Anaheim peppers.

Quote:
Are you in for yield, flavor, color etc?
I think mostly flavor and first-time growing experimentation. My parameters with gardening seem to be to grow things I love to eat frequently (snap peas fit), things that are either subpar, expensive, or hard to get at the supermarket (such as really ripe tomatoes or true baby carrots), or just different varieties. Bought a bag of mixed fingerlings, pretty sure one is Russian banana, and the other is pink-fleshed. Pretty, but flavor not very prominent. I do hope to grow sweet potatoes later in the year, as I understand they can grow well even in Florida summers.

Quote:
Reminds me of a poem I wrote...reminisced from poetry you may know of...... Schwartz......

"TIME BURNS-LEARNING ENDURES"

The fire of the candle of time burns but a lifetime
Leaving not a trace of its light, warmth, or shadow.
Did not Lincoln read by the fire before his prime?
That burning fire sparked kindled prose that would later show.
But for the lifelong learner who shares that learned time
Will extend past his lifetime a beaming enlightened glow
Of knowledge, casting an everlasting shadow off a stood still time.
Tom Wagner
Nice! Yes, indeed, I see the echoes of the Schwartz poem. Also a bit of another (at least in themes) which is one of my favorites, also interweaving knowledge and experience contrasting with natural gifts and consequences:

Save postage stamps or photographs,
But save your soul! Only the past is immortal.

(the middle bit from this)

Hmm, I was kind of hoping there would be a variety-pack of TPS for 'dummies' who just want to try.
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote