View Single Post
Old July 28, 2015   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rairdog View Post

RB, let me know if you have any input on this please.
I am a firm believer in mixed cover crops, and many brassicas can double as a regular food crop and an overwinter cover crop at the same time here in Oklahoma. So I use them absolutely. Also by organic standards you are supposed to rotate crops. It's part of the OMRI GAP requirements. So if you are growing tomatoes every year in the same place and consider yourself organic, you need a way to show crop rotation. One way to do this is with a fall/winter/spring rotation cover crop. Me personally, I like double duty cover crops. So why not instead of a forage radish, a market radish? Why not instead of a alpine pea, a winter sugar snap pea? Whenever I can, I add something like this. But that's because I am a very small scale right now. Once I get bigger, I suppose more conventional cover crops instead. But even if I use a market variety, I still mix the seed and grow them like a mixed cover crop.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote