View Single Post
Old January 11, 2009   #36
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I don't like Borgo Cellano either...way too small and too much work and lots of seeds. Not enough pluses to overcome those things. These buyers "read" and they see that this is touted as "THE" drying tomato so want it. I just charge them more. Same way with the "black" tomato varieties...I have read thousands of descriptions that wax poetic about "smokey", "earthy" flavor and I fail to taste anything like that. Some are good, some are not so good in flavor. They are willing to pay almost double the price for these dried thus, I am happy to oblige.
As regards the oil...I have no problem here because it has not been heated, or processed. Truthfully, most want to re-hydrate their own tomatoes in oil and herbs of their choice and I don't sell many of those done that way anymore (mostly to just plain people in town and not chefs) I used to deliver those and with gas the way it was, I had to charge a fortune (I mailed 12 pints of salsa verde and 12 pints of red salsa to my Mother-In-Law in Oregon and it cost me 32.00!) I would way rather sell the dehydrated in vacuum bags. I also do the ones in oil for xmas gifts with a little booklet with sun dried tomato recipes. AND THE LIDS SAY REFRIGERATE!

I have tested probably 35 different varieties over the years and most I discard as drying tomatoes for all the obvious reasons...too seedy, too much moisture, looses taste when dry, falls apart when dry, ugly...
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote