View Single Post
Old April 13, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
In the book "Vertical Gardening" by Derek Fell, on page 180, he claims that Big Rainbow is aka Striped German, Flame, Pineapple and Virginia Sweets.

SSE lists them as different.

How do you all feel about this statement?

I do not believe they are identical, but they do have similarities.

Earl
All one has to do is to look at the histories behind them to know they aren't the same.

There are probably close to 200 red/gold bicolors listed in the SSE YEarbooks but again, just knowing when and where from and by whom a variety was introduced can ID them, certainly not by appearance since so many look alike.

I should say something about Flame, though.

There's Jaune Flammee which is not a bicolor but when I sent it to Linda at TGS I forgot to put the Jaune in front so she listed it as Flammee initially, I think, and then akaed it as it should be when she had room to do it.

But when it comes to Flame, that's a totally different story.

When the Olympics were held in LA Renee Sheperd introduced a gold/red bicolor which she called Olympic Flame. It was a selection made by Patty B at Seeds by Design from a common existing gold/red bicolor so Renee could rename it that.

The Olympic Comm said she couldn't use that name so she changed it to Old Flame and that morphed into just Flame. So the same variety exists under three different names.

When I first saw Hillbilly ( Flame) that made no sense to me and still doesn't and I have no idea who first did that and it shouldn't be perpetuated b'c Hillbilly is NOT the same as Flame.

Got it?