View Single Post
Old May 20, 2015   #75
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Vote in. Your project sounds well worth the exploration, and i wish you the best of luck in your scale-up phase.

I've been out of the statistics game for a while, but I remember enough to be happy for you--it's crucial that you have someone guiding you through the somewhat arduous task of manipulating the data to prove your hypothesis. When we design experiments our tunnel-vision can sometimes take over, and it's nice to have someone pushing you towards the "prove your conclusions" end of the spectrum; plus it allows for others to take your work WAY more seriously. There's nothing like numbers to settle an argument.

With that in mind, as I was looking at your latest plot (10 of each, treated vs non-treated), I found myself immediately thinking, is 10 enough to give you statistically significant results between the groups? I remember there is a simple test for that, just can't think of the name of it. I'm so happy that information has left my brain. Shoo, go away T-tests.

I hope the weather cooperates. Fingers crossed. No more overflowed creeks!

Cheers.

Gerardo
Well actually there will be 3 rows like that at the south Plot (total of 30 each), one or two rows of 15 each here at the house (all I have room for) and three at the new field with whatever plants I have left. The issue is weather. We got another 1/2 a foot of rain at the south plot yesterday. It is crazy the amount of rain we are getting. That field has had almost a years worth of rain in a couple weeks! Even with the no till it is still way too much. If it was plowed I couldn't even imagine the erosion that would have happened.

Luckily we only got a couple inches here at the house. I may try getting out and carefully doing some more today.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote