View Single Post
Old January 30, 2018   #34
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
I have 2 electric heaters in the other GH for freezing temps. It's only a 14x16 GH so it's easy to heat. Those plants survived the freeze we had a few weeks ago when the temps stayed below freezing over 48 hours. That's not normal weather here. If we get another freeze I'll put a small heater in there.

Don't worry about damaging the roots when separating them, they'll grow back. I find it's easier to take them apart with drier soil than too wet.
I always thought/assumed wet roots would be better. Well, this gives me renewed hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVanVader View Post
I have to start all my stuff inside so I have to use this approach. I also dont worry about ripping roots etc when I tear apart the plants. The peppers in the pic were overgrown tbh, if you transplant before then they are much easier to divide. I've found peppers & tomatoes can take a lot of punishment.
I start inside as well. I have a small propane furnace that came out of a camper to keep things alive in a worst case scenario. Duct work runs under the benches blowing the warm air up. But this is only used later in the season when I have ran out of room in the house, under the T8s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I don't know exactly what you are using, but that's another advantage of using vermiculite as seed-starting media - when dry, it will fall right off the roots. Perlite is almost as good, but roots tend to stick to it a little more than vermiculite.
Not sure if this was aimed at me, or someone else, but interesting. I have always used perlite myself. Matter of fact I just mixed more, to fill some 1801s.

Hmm.. might have to get some v. then.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote