View Single Post
Old December 14, 2018   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merediana View Post
Usually I like tomatoes you can cook with, as I don't eat much raw tomatoes so I did grew a lot of not-so-juicy and more fleshy tomato varieties last year. Well, my boyfriend kind of hated every tomato I grew except for Sungold and Marizol gold.

I fear that whatever I'd pick myself wouldn't be to his liking.

So help me out - what are great varieties for salads and eating raw? Texture seems to be the most important point for him but obviously they should be flavorful as well.

I'd be happy if they'd be at least a bit colorful
Difficult question to answer but I'll start it off with a few suggestions.

If he liked Marizol Gold,why not look at

Marizol Bratka
Marizol Gold
Marizol Gold Cherry
Marizol Korney
Marizol Magic
Marizol Maroon
Marizol Pink
Marizol Purple
Marizol Purple Potato Leaf
Marizol Red

Some of the above are due to X pollinations,but Marizol Bratka is the first one I got from Joe Bratka whose parents came from Germany, Black Forest aka Shwarzwald ( spelling?). And Joe bred many of the other colored ones as well.

The original name of all the Marizols were called Maria's Zell (village),and that got shortened to Marizol.

Texture,which you say is very important, is very difficult to answer since that depends mainly on the weather in any one season and other factors as well.

So I'll wait to see what others might say before I post more.

Good to remember that if your boyfriend doesn't like many that you grow, well,why not consider finding a new boyfriend.

Carolyn