View Single Post
Old June 12, 2018   #54
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

We generally skillet fry in breadcrumbs or panko. Eat plain or prepared that way and put into eggplant parm. The problem is getting a lot at once. Last year we froze a number of prepared eggplant parm, and that is great to pull out during winter, but takes up a lot of space in the freezer and was work to prep and freeze. At some point last year it was just too much and we went through them and pressure canned a batch, 7 quarts. We were skeptical of the results; it's not a pretty jar of pickled peppers.

After many moons I finally pulled a jar out and popped it...it turns out it is very neutral flavored, not bad in the least. The texture is very soft, like cooked summer squash. The color is grayish. The first thing I did was make a pot of knorr vegetable soup and used the juice as part of the water requirement, then added in the eggplant when the dehydrated vegetables were done. I must say it was really good this way and filled out the soup nicely.
So, worse comes to worst, if you have extra jars, pressure can it and throw it in some soup.

Last edited by JRinPA; June 13, 2018 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Last year not this year
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote