View Single Post
Old January 17, 2017   #22
MuddyToes
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimchiMonger View Post
Seemingly just the information I've been looking for regarding pot material and watering. As suggested by member Gerardo above and a few others elsewhere, these 'root bags' or 'fabric smart pots' can be placed into single pot saucers and watered from below by adding water to the saucers?

If this is the case, I'd love to use pictured 'root pots' and saucers below. Does one just insure saucer is say, half full all the time and check top soil by poking finger to check moisture? My concern is should there be any water remaining in saucer shortly after watering? Would that be OK?
That's what I did for my Sun Sugar and Black Plum last year. I ended up removing the saucers part way through the summer because the water got really yucky after a couple heavy downpours. This was not easy to lift wet, heavy grow bags off the saucers. (I'm a very small person.) But then I had to water twice per day without the saucers. So this summer, I am going to try putting a cork in the bottom of the saucer so that I can drain when needed. I might try some SIP's too since I got so many new varieties to try from the MMMM.

I used 7 and 10 gallon bags for the maters. I ordered 15's but they came too late for the tomatoes last year. I ended up using 3 of them for artichokes. They sure require a lot of soil. $$$
MuddyToes is offline   Reply With Quote