View Single Post
Old February 12, 2017   #37
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
All the big guys I see pictures of that are doing precision controlled environment are all using grafts.
The limited data I can find implies a 0-50 yield increase with grafts. I wanna test that side by side to get my own first hand data and satisfy my curiosity.
As far as time, I really wouldn't have time invested, as I'd be paying a professional grafter. In fact, I'd save time because now I don't have to raise my seedlings. Yes I have to pay the grafter, but I am freed up for 6 weeks to work on other stuff. If there is then a yield bump over a standard plant that is significantly above the graft cost, that would be the goal. Plus some disease tolerance increase would be like getting insurance.
I already figure I have at least one dollar per plant in cost with labor raising my own non-grafted seedlings. Paying another dollar to get a grafted plant done for me by an experienced grafter seems negligible.
If I get 25 lbs per plant on 450 non grafted plants, and see just a 10% yield gain with grafts, that's another 1,125 lbs of fruit.
At $2.60 per pound, that's another $2,925 in revenue for spending an extra $450.

I had a Rep come by, I believe Mighty Mato. They sold grafts, and had pics of side by side showing yields on Momotaro, the graft had much more fruit, and was Maxifort I think. I guess I should try some, nothing else to do right now anyway, 0 outside again.
I have been wanting to see if cold tolerance is passed along too on root stock from cold tolerant varieties, so I think I am going to trial some.
Who sells good root stock?
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote