View Single Post
Old August 30, 2015   #28
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
I'm new here and an in-ground and raised bed person until now. I've got the serious bug to try this and have ordered three standard Earthboxes to start.

The EB's say 2.0 cf material is needed and the bags of HP/BX are 3.8cf.

1) Is the PRO-Mix compacted or do you get enough material to do more EB's ?

2) Can you stretch these premium products with 10-20% additional peat?
Until I break down and buy a bag of Pro-Mix HP/BX from my local hydro store for $55, I've just been buying the consumer line of Pro-Mix products.

My Home Depot sells Pro-mix Ultimate 4cu ft for $14. Its peat with their MycroActive formula. I mix that 50/50 with Pro-Mix Ultimate Organic (1 cu ft for $7), again available at my big box store. The only reason I'm mixing is to get rid of the ultimate organic. It's a good product but not great for containers as it contains sticks and other composted material. Also, it has some % of compost, so not ideal for self-watering containers.

#1. I would say my compacted 2 cu ft pro-mix ultimate once expanded could easily fill 2 EB's.

#2. I've mixed 2 pro-mix products in EB's and it's fine. I see no issues with adding additional peat. Just make sure you're only adding soil-less medium and not compost or soil as it will mess with the wicking.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote