View Single Post
Old October 25, 2017   #100
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Just dumping some tomato thoughts from 2017, hope some might find it interesting/useful. Not commenting on every tomato I grew....but interesting tidbits.

Garnet Cherry: great flavor, extremely vigorous plant and extremely productive. Lasted til the end. Fruits are a little smaller than Sungold.

Black Cherry: also great flavor, yet different than Garnet. Similar in that it was extremely vigorous and extremely productive and lasted to the end. Fruits are little larger than Sungold.

I will grow both of those again in the future, if I only grow 1 of those next year, it will be a tough call on which. Very little negatives to either of them.

Jaune Flammee: Not the most vigorous plant, with medium production, but the flavor is simply wow. A favorite of mine and my son. This will be back, will try another spot in the garden as well.

Earl of Edgecomb: Solid tomato, medium vigor and production, didn't wow, but didn't disappoint.

KBX: Brought it back in 2017 after first growing in 2016. It will be back in 2018. Tremendous flavor and decent production for such a large beefsteak. THE tomato for BLTs IMO.

Daniel Burson: One of the earlier ones to subcomb to foliage issues, but very productive flavorful tomatoes. Liked Black Krim a bit better, but this had better production.

Crnkovic Yugoslavian: Healthy, vigorous plant, good production of tasty tomatoes. Lasted to the end. This was used as a mother in a cross with JF--those two blossoms took and I'm pretty sure I emasculated them early enough, so I'm looking forward to that cross!

Aunt Ginny's Purple: A bit sparse, moderate vigor plant, low production, but an absolutely delicious tomato--intensely sweet and acidic.

Blush: Another back from 2016, extremely productive, beautiful and delicious.

-------------

2017 June and July was very wet by me and never very hot, which resulted in the biggest crop of cucumbers we've ever had. Which tells me, in hotter and drier conditions, I need to be watering my cucumbers more often.

Another fail at fall spinach. Ugh. Does anyone do spinach starts indoors and set out for a fall crop?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote