View Single Post
Old June 12, 2012   #22
Mlm1
Tomatovillian™

Antoinette, we don't have a lot of fungal problems here. Today is 95 degrees and 18% humidity. The only plants that get fungal infection are my in ground plants that are not pruned to one stem and that is in the late fall. I think a single row (unlike my 6 rows) gets more air than a normal unpruned plant. I have asked both my father and my friend (Tim) to send me pictures of their goal posts. My father's plants are in the ground. Tim's are in a raised bed. I have another 50 foot goal post with a plant every 8 inches in the ground (mostly Steve's f1's and f2's from his crosses). Those get lots of good air. I'll get a picture of that one and post it with the other goal post pictures. Also, I think they do better in the ground than in pots. I had planted tomatoes in this one 20 x 20 foot area for 15 years and wanted to give the ground a rest. I didn't really have another place to plant so I put them in pots the last 3 years. Someday I'll put a cover crop in this area till it under and put the plants back in the ground - but still 1 foot apart with single stem.

Marla
Mlm1 is offline   Reply With Quote