View Single Post
Old January 25, 2016   #62
bower
Tomatovillian™

My best hatchet looks like your Plumb. Love that axe.
It's an old one I got from my Dad. The new axes, the blades are garbage, chip like hell and the design is not as good either - narrower and fatter stock is nice for a splitter but the same design writ smaller doesn't work as well in a hand axe, not to mention the blade metal is no good and are quickly dulled and chipped.
Also the new axes are the first to come off their handles.
Putting a new handle on isn't something I have done, so Hellmans, I am looking forward to your pix of the process!!! Besides axes, I have some garden tools that need handles as well.

I have another bigger axe also from my Dad, which is one that does need a handle. The blade shape again is very slender and broad like your Plumbs, and the metal in it is incredible. We used this axe to chop big roots out of the ground when we cleared the land here. You could ding a lot of rocks and never chip or dull it... very impressive. The crap they sell for an axe today will chip on wood!
I feel sorry for the fools who put these treasures up on EBay. They are irreplaceable today. I wouldn't part with them.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote