View Single Post
Old June 9, 2018   #22
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

"Wasps like anywhere out of the weather/rain."

And out of the wind as I found out while walking on a beach one day last year with my hands behind my back where a wasp landed and stung me for no reason! Ouch and itch for days.

I always check an overhang on the quiet side of the garage where I found another nest starting this year. Easy to get rid of when they are small and worth inspecting for.

I was once stung on my upper lip which made me look like a rabbit for a few days. I had sipped at a cup of tea on the porch without looking inside the cup. Never done that again!

Someone else in my area was not so lucky and actually swallowed a wasp in their drink. Their throat began to swell and restrict breathing. Being some distance from 1st aid made it tricky but fortunately a near neighbour told him to gargle with some meat tenderizer which stopped the swelling of his throat while he made it to a doc.

I had a wasp sting me when it landed on the handle of my purse that I was carrying, just got in between the handle and my skin and stung me. That was a bad year as I got stung again when lifting a loaf of bread on the kitchen counter putting my hand on the bag without noticing the wasp on it.

I guess I've had my share of stings and once had to hide my young daughter in the house when she stumbled on a ground nest of hornets in the woods. Watched my son run and jump into the river after he had disturbed a nest on some logs riverside one time too.

We have all kinds of them up here but not so much the ants that sound so dreadful.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote