Thread: Pollinator Week
View Single Post
Old June 25, 2019   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Linda!

I have one Pulmonaria plant and I want more more more!! The bees really love them and they just keep on blooming. But they don't spread very readily. I wondered if I could take cuttings and root them? Or should I pull down the outer branches and cover with compost to get them to root? If I could get a dozen of these going and placed around the garden, I would be satisfied of doing my bee-best.
I have Pasque flowers too. They often bloom earlier than the bees are out, but this year they are still going. But bees don't seem to be very interested in them. I wonder if they are short of nectar, which the queens really need in the early spring.
Columbine is not early here. They must like the heat.

Forgetmenots are a weed here, thanks! I do like them but a few years ago I realized they seriously host the mildew that strikes us in humid July weather and which is a tomato killer. They just started to flower and I've left them to see if bees do care for them or not, but I expect them to be foul with mildew in a week or two.

I have a few cowslips. I have planted oodles of primroses over the years but none have survived excepting the cowslips (which I should also make more of).

I will look up the others you mentioned - wouldn't it be great if there was a shrub the moose and rabbits don't eat. Forsythia is another one that is really gorgeous and seems hardy in my area.
Usually by midsummer day, I have chives, cornflowers and bluebells in flower, but these are being late this year. I think my shallot plot is going to flower at the same time as chives, and really looking forward to see them. Mrs. Bee has been trying the buds already.
I seeded more "Hardy Evergreen" onion this year, because they survive quite well as a perennial and flower fairly early.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote