View Single Post
Old March 21, 2019   #28
Scooty
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
I believe people have the right to know the risks associated with any chemical they use or are thinking about using. That's all. I don't think anyone would or should be opposed to that.
Did I expect the reaction from persons using the chemical to be any different than what I have seen. Absolutely not
Example
In 1964 the Surgeon General said tobacco was harmful to your health. Did everyone stop smoking. No they did not. Most took the attitude "What do they know, I feel fine" or were addicted and couldn't stop.
Did it keep a lot of people from starting smoking who would have if that warning had not come out? Absolutely
Maybe this thread is aimed at those who are thinking about using it and maybe they can make a better choice. And certainly this thread or any of my opinions were not directed at any one person in particular.
But the problem is that you're automatically assuming the alternatives are better. They are not necessarily. Research into the long term effects of organic pesticides is not mature. Furthermore, if you've actually tried to go full certified organic production in any capacity, then you also know there's no hard concentration limitation for residues.

As my o-chem professor said, it's not the chemical that kills you. It's the concentration.

In fact, the home gardener is often going to exceed the recommendation spray schedule, dosage, etc... when limited to organic products. Try an only copper only schedule with early blight, and you'll quickly rip your hair out sticking to the "recommended" spray schedule.

I'd point out, we have well founded solid data on the limits for human health for heavy metals. If you're aggressively spraying with organic, it's not necessary better than the safe limited dosages for a synthetic product. I think there are a few academic papers out right now on copper run off from organic production negatively effecting organisms.

Hell, Rotenone is still OMRI compliant. Not sure how much of that you're willing to suck in.

The only way in which you really can completely guarantee safety is if you're willing to toss all the pesticides and fungicides. Most organic farmers try to resort to chemicals of any kind as a last resort.

The problem is that non-organic generally enjoy larger yields than their organic counterparts because most of their spraying is doing proactively as a preventative measure.

If organic was easy, the resultant fruit would be cheap and plentiful. There is a reason it's more expensive and in limited supply.

Most people are willing to accept the safe limit of synthetic solutions for the guarantee of a yield. The problems occur when people start dialing up the dosage thinking they will get a better result.

Sometimes it's a pick your poison. Pyrethrin functions basically as a neurotoxin if you have a cat, it also kills fish if you have a pond run off. Which is probably why is only used on dogs and humans (shampoos, sprays, and cream). Pyrethrin and permethrin (synthetic version) are also safe for earthworms/red wrigglers. On the other hand, spinosad is safe for cats and fish, but it has a much longer half-life and is still toxic to bees. How much it affects honey bees is a matter of debate but in the EU there are very restrictive to its application just to be safe.

Last edited by Scooty; March 21, 2019 at 04:41 PM.
Scooty is offline   Reply With Quote