View Single Post
Old October 3, 2017   #6
Solanum315
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loulac View Post
Coming again

A few more details :
An exerpt from an interview of Mr Baraton, gardener in chief of Versailles gardens :
http://frenchquartermag.com/intervie...umerous-books/

Q. : Is the king’s garden still active? And what are its functions today?
A.B.: There are two gardens. There is the king’s garden that is independent of Versailles, which is an independent entity under the Ministry of Agriculture. The land belongs to Versailles, but the teams on site do not depend on the park. But three years ago now we created a vegetable garden, the Garden of the Queen which is near the Petit Trianon, and its main function is to produce healthy vegetables, quality vegetables. We also have (I was going to say a client, even if the term is not very appropriate) a partner called Alain Ducasse. I am very happy that today, in the hamlet of the queen, the vegetable garden that provides vegetables may have allowed Alain Ducasse at the Plaza Athénée to get his third (Michelin) star. Our vegetable garden has also just been accepted into the culinary college of France. I am relatively pleased with this appointment. So there are two gardens, one that works and provides a three-star restaurant, and the king’s garden that is independent of the park of Versailles.

I'm trying to get in touch with him.
Wow, so apparently, all I had to do to get a few seeds was go to Plaza Athénée and order a salad? Wish I knew that at the time. Would have been a very cool addition to my seed bank...Please let me know if you find something out.

As far as the fake heirlooms, they were not as good as the real thing but they were certainly better than the baseballs they sell in American grocery stores. They could be a good breeding partner for a less productive but tastier heirloom. Thanks for the insight.

http://worldtomatoes.blogspot.com/
Solanum315 is offline   Reply With Quote