View Single Post
Old June 15, 2013   #52
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Garden View Post
... this stuff is pretty expensive for the amount you get. My question is can you increase the amount you get? I have been using compost or worm tea and I know the reason you let it bubble for hours on end is to let the bacteria and fungi grow. If I add mycorrhizae to a bucket with molasses or some other food source can I turn a few cc's into a few gallons?
The process for growing Mycorrhizae might vary a bit depending on your location and climate. The process would look something like this; take several grow bags full of medium, add a layer of (two or more sources Endo + Ecto to be sure) of Mycorrhizae, then plant something with crazy roots like Bahia grass. The basic idea is that the roots grow down through the Myco layer and get inoculated. Ideally, cold weather will eventually kill the Bahia grass. Cut the grass, remove the bag and shred the roots with the growing medium. You now have a much larger amount of Myco than you started with. I think there are even some videos showing this process.

My understanding is that Myco will keep for about 2 years under favorable conditions, but if you use a lot of it, you could just make it every year for the following growing season. Once activated in the soil, it can live only about 48 hours without a host.

I had planned on doing exactly this but could not find a small quantity, say 5 pounds, of Bahia grass. The project eventually got pushed to the back of the bus but I would still like to try it.

Hope this helps.

Russel

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote