Thread: ants!
View Single Post
Old July 12, 2015   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Grits! I buy boxes of the Sunflower Quick Grits. I bought the 5 minute box by mistake one time and it didn't work, so now I make sure I have the right stuff.

You can sprinkle the grits on top of mounds if you follow the ant trail back to the main nest. Also you can put around the base of plants and on top of the soil of containers. The ants will go for the grits .

They tak the grits back to the nest and as soon as they eat something with any type of moisture in it, they blow up and die.

I go out and just sprinkle all around and let the ants go to work. If the weather is really really hot and dry, later I will water the heck out of the mounds. Usually the grits will get them from the first application, but sometimes if the nest is big a second application is necessary.

Grits are cheap and organic. I been using grits for years . Usually takes a good 24 hours for it to work. That's how long I usually give them to eat before I will than apply water to make sure no other ants come out of the nests.

Now there are some flowering plants that need the ants for pollination and so I leave those ants be, but around the veggie plants or any place else, it's grit time.

I'm out of batteries at the moment or I would show you how it looks and works.

added ... Peonies are one of those plants that need ants to open properly . Once the ants have eaten all the coating on the buds and out of the blooms they will move on. I leave my ants alone on Peonies.

Last edited by Starlight; July 12, 2015 at 09:34 AM. Reason: additional words
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote