View Single Post
Old March 17, 2018   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

how many baskets are you planning? that will determine how many plants you need to buy. and that depends on the size of each plant you want for your baskets. Surfina petunias get pretty large and one per basket is sufficient, but I never like to put only one in. if it dies (and it has happened) there is nothing else to look at. so I do put in other fillers or another variety (cheaper because is is usually something I have started from seed) of petunias for contrast in flower size or color. Usually other varieties of petunias I put in 3 of and a filler 3 of about a hands width in from the rim in a circle alternating the plant types.

Red is the top seller. red petunias, red verbena, red geraniums.... red. I mix petunias, bacopa, verbena, sweet potato vine (only 1 of those in the center as they get pretty large) ... whatever I have....
Petunias are the main stay in most baskets. I have mixed colors for contrast and done mono colors baskets.
red and white always sells. pink/blue/purple are probably next followed by white orange/yellow.... red mixed with blue or purple, red with yellow, red with red, red with white...
geraniums ( ivy or calliope) mostly red (and a few burgundy) with white bacopa or verbena or petunias.
I don't like to grow only ONE type of plant in a basket. if one dies they probably will all die if it isn't wind or storm damage.
Petunias are mildew prone. keep them well ventilated..
verbena once it is established is pretty hardy and roots where ever it touches the soil. but until then it seems to be fungal susceptible..
fuchsias - I plant only fuchsias in the basket. nothing else.

begonias.. only begonias.