View Single Post
Old August 6, 2018   #1
clara
Tomatovillian™

Default Wild tomatoes - how do I recognize them?

Stupid question probably! I've grown many so-called wild tomatoes over the years - I had got them all labeled "wild tomato" and they all fitted to what I had read about them. But this season, I'm growing a variety called "Dream of Madagascar" without any infos other than the name. For several reasons, I can't ask the person who gave me the seeds. It seems to be an indet. plant (can't say it for sure because I made the mistake to put it into a hanging basket; it is VERY sprawling). The tomatoes are looking like very small eggs, orange or red, I'm not sure if the orange ones will turn into red, and are very sweet, but I have tasted only two tomatoes off the vine so far. The skin looks very mat, but that may be caused by lack of water/improperly watering during our incredible heat this year. Most trusses have 7 tomatoes.

COULD that be another wild tomato? And what is the correct definition of a "wild" tomato?

Madagascar is a very poor island, only rich in endemic, but mostly endangered flora and fauna.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote