View Single Post
Old March 31, 2016   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

But one thing about sales setups, over many years I learned that the lighter they are to handle, and the faster to set up and take down, the better I like them.

OMG that is so true. With over 30 years of market experience I can say, the easier the better. When I use a smaller vehicle like a mini van I put the flats in those hard black crates that are seen at most markets. I can stack the crates 3 or 4 high. I'll put plants that are too tall on the top, or in some other crates I have that are taller.

But usually I have a bigger truck, like a 12-16 ft box truck. We used to do about 75 varieties of chiles and about 50 varieties of tomatoes. We had 2x12 planks on rails bolted to the sides of the truck. 3 layers high. The planks became the "tables" on saw horses. It would take 4 of us 2 hours to get set up. PITA. Now I do about 150 varieties of tomatoes and some chiles and herbs. I couldn't find a pic of our stand at the market but the pic is of the racks in our driveway where we have a self-serve between markets.

Then I got several of the restaurant type wire racks on wheels. 1 of our trucks had a lift gate and for the other we built 2 "ramps" out of 3 2x4s nailed together. Now 2 of us can get set up in about 15 minutes. When I needed more racks I got the green racks that are meant for plants with an edge that keeps the flats from sliding off.

Yes the racks were a bit pricey at about $200 each but I saved that in labor the first season.

Carol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0215.jpg (415.0 KB, 116 views)
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote