View Single Post
Old May 1, 2013   #54
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Do you see any problem with adding a little of the powdered iron chelate to the Tomato Food just before applying it?

I also use a bit of humic acid in my garden hose end sprayer sometimes when watering or fertilizing. It seems to aid the plants a bit in their uptake of nutrients. Should it be applied separately or just mixed in the sprayer with the fertilizer? I don't want to add anything to the fertilizer that will lessen its effectiveness.

Bill
Glad to hear you're doing well. But.......

There is already quite a bit of chelated iron in TTF, so be careful not to overdose by adding extra. My advice would be to attack the problem of ph instead. Use some ph down in your solution so that you are applying a 5.0-5.5 ph solution. This will counter your high ph soil. The iron will then become more available.

I always cringe when I see words like "seems, appears, might, etc.....". That's very hard to verify. Besides, there is already quite a bit of humic acid in TTF. Adding more throws a wrench in the machinery, although I don't see where an extra, diluted amount can do any harm.

I believe if you correct your high soil ph, everything else will fall in line. Even the best nutrients will be locked out if the medium isn't within reasonable ph ranges. The sweet zone in our experience is 5.7-6.3 for most vegetables.

Best regards,

Urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote