View Single Post
Old February 24, 2018   #18
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Cjp. if you drop your seeds off to me I will start them, if I had an extra heat mat to let you borrow I would. let me know if that works for you. I would be happy to do it. Menards had them a few weeks ago at about 15.00. maybe they still have them.

"My Home Depot and Walmart sell the heat mats off the rack for about $25. Thay can cook your tomato babies without a thermostat.

As mentioned in another thread, it helps to put a foam slab, such as a drink cooler lid or a packing material sheet under the pad and cover the top of the tray with a few layers of towels or sweatshirts, etc. to insulate the seed tray. Its been a really cold winter and the heat is going non stop so I have lots of floor space near heat vents and I haven't used my heat mats. A first for me.

- Lisa "

I have never had those heat mats cook my seeds or plants. I have had sunshine cook them, but that is it. I have heat mats with thermostats which can get pretty hot and the plain old black "plug them in ones" and they don't get that hot. if you don't water the trays if they get dry you can kill off newly germinating seeds, though.
I'm growing Long Hot Cayenne,Jalapeno,Nardello and cubinella. With this mat when would it be a good time to start them as we are only 15 miles apart.I will start my tomatoes around April.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote