View Single Post
Old July 9, 2020   #12
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I did go ahead and "sow parsnip seed under soaker hose" in my late corn and okra patch. I guess I mentioned it above. Around April 1st, snow peas were sown down the center of 3 parallel~26ft rows. May, peas were trellised. Late May, okra was transplanted on either side of the peas in the back half that floods more. Last week I cut the peas out, raised the bed more with compost, forked, and transplanted corn on the upper half, 3 double rows, same as the okra. Then I added more compost over the short cut pea roots and sowed seed and laid down a soaker hose. The radish seed came up quick. Red beet and parsnips should come up no problem, we finally got rain two days this week. I did end up about 6 ft short on the parsnips, just using that little bit of initial seed, but I overseeded quite a bit and was able to thin out some heavily seeded areas to finish. The amount of parsnip seed generated by that little jungle is probably enough for 5000 ft of row with some regulation. I know the last pack I bought for $2, ran out after about 20ft of row, the way I sprinkle seeds.

When everything else is out and it gets cold hopefully there will be some parsnips up nicely. Radish, redbeets, and parsnips seem to be a good combo for a row to keep the space going.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote