View Single Post
Old June 18, 2013   #65
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Gardener View Post
Scott:

You may consider applying for a grant. There are a number of them set aside for projects like yours. I looked into it briefly, but I though that my project was too small to get any attention.

Russel
Same with me. I am small now too. It all boils down to adapting to opportunities as they arise. Once (if) the general plan is approved, then I will of course need to work out how start up costs are financed. I will need to work on marketing too. There is a tremendous amount of work that will need to be done just on the business side. Not only that but an additional pile of work monitoring and establishing data for potential publishing. None of which can be done until(if) the lease is signed. I certainly won't be ruling out a grant, but I am not going to be dependent on it either. There are a tremendous number of options to start this up. For example: One option is to get paid by others to manage their cattle. This allows me to not have the huge initial investment in actual cattle and the first payment can be used to buy electric fence. Then gradually buy my own cattle with profits. For chickens, there is a common business model where the seller of the final product invests in the grower with a contract to sell the birds. CSAs are a good possibility for veggies and eggs. One also could have potentially their own private possibilities. There are a lot of ways to skin that cat, none of which can happen without a signed lease or owning the land. So for me personally it boils down to waiting for approval. I haven't even heard back yet. Not a yes or a no nor even a maybe. I am not going to rush it though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote