View Single Post
Old September 18, 2012   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quinoa Salad with Apples, Walnuts, Dried Cranberries & Gouda

I made this salad yesterday for a light dinner, and, it's absolutely delicious. A great fall salad. Quinoa is rich in protein, so, pared with the nuts, it's a protein packed meal in itself. I made some fresh pears poached in a little Moscato we had opened to go with it. sue

source:Fine cooking

This salad is extremely filling. I'm going to make it next Sunday and plan on eating it for lunch all week long. It would make a great vegetarian main course at a dinner party, or could also be used as a bed for grilled salmon or roasted chicken.

Ingredients:
1-1/2 cups quinoa, preferably red
Sea salt
5 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil; more as needed
1 large red onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
2 Tbs. balsamic vinegar(I used white balsamic)
4 oz. arugula, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
4 oz. aged Gouda, finely diced (about 1 cup)
3 medium celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 large, crisp apple, such as Fuji or Pink Lady, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
1 cup finely diced fennel
3/4 cup dried cranberries
3 Tbs. sherry vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
• In a bowl, rinse the quinoa with water, rubbing it between your fingers for about 10 seconds.
• Drain and transfer it to a 3-quart pot.
• Add 2-1/2 cups water and 1/2 tsp. sea salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
• Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, covered, until the quinoa is tender but still delicately crunchy, about 15 minutes.

• Drain the quinoa and return it to the pot.
• Cover and let the quinoa rest for 5 minutes; then fluff it with a fork.
• Let cool to room temperature.

• While the quinoa cooks, heat 2 Tbs. of the olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
• Add the onion and a pinch of salt; cook, stirring frequently, until tender and brown around the edges, 6 to 8 minutes.
• Add the balsamic vinegar and toss with the onions until the vinegar cooks away, about 1 minute.
• Remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.

• In a large bowl, mix the quinoa, onions, arugula, cheese, celery, apple, walnuts, fennel, and cranberries.

• In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 3 Tbs. olive oil with the sherry vinegar, 1/2 tsp. sea salt, and a few grinds of pepper.
• Add the dressing to the salad and gently mix it in.
• Let rest a moment; then season to taste with salt and pepper.
• Add more olive oil if the salad seems dry.

nutrition information (per serving):
Calories: 330; Fat (g): 19; Protein (g): 9; Carbohydrates (g): 34; Sodium (mg): 350; Cholesterol (mg): 15; Fiber (g): 4
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote