View Single Post
Old April 18, 2016   #11
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerSky View Post
I learned how to can a few years ago because it seemed silly to me to grow so many tomatoes for my dad, and then watch many of them get tossed because we couldn't keep up with them. We eat so much sauce in my family, it was just odd to me to throw out tomatoes that could have easily been used for sauce.

So now I grow like five times the tomato plants and can a lot of sauce. Since I already had a Kitchenaid mixer, I got the food mill attachment and it has been a life saver. No more spending all that time peeling, coring, and pureeing tomatoes only to have my super knit-picking husband balk that there's a chunk. I just cut the tomatoes into chunks small enough to fit into mill and send them through. I probably should spare my poor mixer and start cooking them a little first...

I do cheat, though. I'm not patient enough to reduce the sauce all day, so I add a couple small cans of store bought paste to each batch. It really helps take the time down. This year I want to try to make my own paste and maybe cheat a little less
If I use my Kitchenaid for extend periods of time the oil heats up and gets thin and then starts dripping into the sauce. Precooking the tomatoes softens them and takes some of the load off the mixer so it runs cooler.

You may want to try reducing the sauce overnight to save time. I use a large stainless chaffing dish pan and place it in the oven at about 185F. The sauce reduces overnight with no stirring necessary.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote