View Single Post
Old May 7, 2013   #18
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by riceke View Post
I agree with DURGAN regarding where potatoes grow. I've planted them in 1/2 barrells and 15 gal containers. I've planted them deep and shallow. But whatever way they always grow around the root of the plant. While the deep box planting sounds logical (potatoes growing along the vines) Iv'e never found it to be true. The only thing deep planting is going to do is make you dig deeper for your spuds. There has been a lot of questions and speculation about some of these Garden Editorials as to whether they have actually performed the "new and improved" way of gardening that they profess. Most have not. Rely on the information from those who are experienced from a practical rather than theoretical sense. (See the upside down tomato planter for further cases).
Finally a gardener, who uses his eyes and logic. Gardening books leave a lot to be desired. Of course, the hardest group to find is vegetables gardeners. They are few and far between. There are almost none in my area. Large yards and a, good soil, and good climate. Further even if grown most people have no idea how to preserve or store for off season use.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote