View Single Post
Old October 4, 2018   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

With everything bolted or torn up by now, I am craving some fresh greens! (Should've made chips while the going was good )
So a couple of days ago I started my brassica seed test, and here they are up. Not sure how long until the true leaves will be out, to see just how mixed up they are. I kept seed lots separate on the chance that some would have a better chance of being true to type instead of crossed. Not much chance with the purple stemmed types, since they had lost their identifying leaves before I remembered to do the seed roundup... I tried to classify them by the amount of purple (some were just purple tinged, others fully purple stems and purple pods). Still I ended up with six purple seed lots, two white stemmed mustard, 3 michihili and 3 "choy" - pretty sure these were just the "baby bok choy" that came from the greenhouse but not 100% certain if I did toss all the bolted yu choy so we shall see...

One interesting thing I noticed already: The third lot of Michihili seed is showing some purple tinges on a couple of seedlings, so likely crossed with one of the purple things (Red Russian Kale, RRK crosses with different leaf shape, or purple tinged mustard green). Anything cool looking will get personal space, of course. We actually did okay with Michihili under lights last winter (larger pot) although I wish it grew faster.

Seeing I have been without greens for awhile now, the taste testing day is bound to be my favorite part of this experiment.

Sorry for less than great pics, everything looks a little blurry to me today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brassicatest1.JPG (69.8 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg brassitest-M1M3.JPG (315.6 KB, 70 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote