Thread: Big Chief
View Single Post
Old April 20, 2010   #4
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

OK, lets see if we can get this straight. Big Cheef or Big Chief got it's start as a RL sport of Brandywine Sudduth found amongst Sudduth PL seedlings started by RIK aka bigcheef. He grew out the RL and saved the seeds and gave them to different members of TVille to grow out. See thread link.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=1062&page=2

I grew out the RL F2 the following year and was unimpressed and I also got PL seedlings as well and did not grow them. PapaVic (Bill Jeffers) grew out the RL's as well but he selected the PL seedlings to grow and is now up to F4 or F5 at this time and has been using the name BigCheef who was the originator of the variety.
The following year after my initial RL growout of BC I replanted the F2 RL seed received from bigcheef and selected the PL's as PV had done originally which turned out to be much better than the F2 RL.
So Farmette the RL seed you got from me were from my F2 RL growout and the PL seed were from my F2 PL growout. So as Suze said it was unstable at the start giving RL and PL plants and most folks went with the PL and have continued to grow them out. My calling it Big Chief was more of a misspelling of Big Cheef. So hopefully this will detract from rather than add to the confusion.
Farmette, you may want to grow that lone PL that popped up in the RL batch as you may end up with one of the best tomatoes you ever ate as said by PapaVic on his growout. Ami