View Single Post
Old August 5, 2017   #50
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

One thing I have to learn is not to cut actual vines until I can really see where it leads to on the trellis. I cut my second watermelon down today by mistake while cutting bad branches and leaves from the mite infestation I battled. I discovered after cutting that vine it was attached to the watermelon and then discovered I had already cut another vine that was attached to that vine previously.

So, this watermelon had only one vine feeding it and I cut it off. I went ahead and cut it open to see how it had done and it was almost perfect. It was sweet, red and smelled good but I think another week or two on the vine would have been much better. At least I didn't lose this one completely.

I think to grow on a trellis I will need to somehow mark the vine by number and number the watermelon so I know what vine goes to which melon. I think I can avoid cutting the wrong vine if I do something like that. Otherwise, the trellising is working very well and with the new hammocks I made they are perfect to hold the heavy melons.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote