View Single Post
Old August 12, 2017   #56
MdTNGrdner

Rockporter, congrats on your successful trellis venture. A 17 lb tasty watermelon: way cool! .

I really like the grommet hammocks too, very clever. And yes, stockings are that strong but you have to fiddle with them or they'll roll up or out from under what they're supporting! It's good to criss cross them under the fruit.

I trellis a lot of things including squash and melons, but I haven't done watermelon yet. I think the Orangeglos would be a tad heavy and could be a challenge to sling, but I've done Galeaux d'Eysines pumpkins before so maybe it would hold. That particular trellis is cross braced but the fruit can pull the plant right down.

We're having a banner watermelon year, so far. 3 vines of Orangeglo with 4 melons harvested and 14 more ripe, nearly ripe, or football sized; 1 Kleckley's Sweet vine with 13 on the way (about 5 near ripe), and 1 Scaly Bark vine with 1 harvested and 3 more that I can see (it goes into one of the tomatillo forests!), all just about ready. That's a good season for us. Hope yours keep coming on too!