View Single Post
Old October 31, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I think we have similar climates, so I buy my seed garlic from WI. That's a really nice set up. Nice and flat too, so no worries about wet spots. Lucky!!!

I know what you mean by doing all that yourself. but I hope you had some machines helping in the bed prep? Did you or a machine throw all that dirt up?

I use the Dewitt Pro5 in the 6 foot length for the reason that you mentioned, it is very windy here and fabric can easily take off. This product is more expensive and a bear to cut holes in because of a felt backing, but better than it sailing away. Doesn't last as long either (about 3 years before weeds start poking through.)

How do you plan to keep the cardboard in place for your walking paths? I laid sheets of cardboard from big boxes like appliance boxes and held them down over with long 2 X 4 but they still managed to blow away and make a mess, but that was over the winter and the purpose was to kill grass. I cut strips of the Pro5 for the paths but would like to know how you plan to keep the cardboard down for future projects.

- Lisa

Forgot to add that last year I placed folded tomato cages over the straw to keep it in place. Some chicken wire may be a good substitute for the cages. It did a fantastic job of holding the straw in, even in a winter that didn't have much precipitation.

I might go naked with no straw mulch or use up my last bits of shredded leaves with the cages to hold it down.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; October 31, 2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: added info
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote