View Single Post
Old July 13, 2017   #1
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Default Fruit tree disaster. What should I do?

I had a gardening accident(well it was an on purpose accident, lol). One or both of our pups de-potted and ate most of the roots of a honeycrisp apple and an oriental pear tree. I bought them on clearance from a local nursery at 80% off, and am keeping them in a kiddie pool in a grow bag now. They each are about 5 feet tall or so, and they each do have some good fine root hairs left, along with some good structural roots. I cut them down(they were each about 6 or 7 feet tall), to lighten the load of wood and leaves the roots have to support. The roots were still moist when I discovered them, and the leaves were only the slightest bit wilted(which is a miracle, considering it has been near 100 degrees each day this week).

My question is: the leaves have wilted and crisped up, and I am wondering if it would be better to cut them down more, and or go ahead and plant them in the ground now. The pool allows the grow bags to dry out quite a bit in between waterings(which can't be helped, I can only fill them once a day). Any advice? I don't have any accessible areas in my yard that get afternoon/evening shade, so the best I could do is try to shield them from the hottest sun by putting them behind the tallest tomato plants. Any advice? I know these trees(if they survive)won't do anything worthwhile this summer, I am just trying to find the best chance to keep them alive through the summer, till the heat lets up, and they grow back some more roots.

Thanks!