View Single Post
Old June 27, 2018   #52
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have only tasted maybe half dozen varieties of garlic, but so far I would say the flavor nuances are far more subtle than the differences in tomatoes. Spanish Roja is distinct enough that you could distinguish in a blind taste test from other garlics if tasted alone... however once you put it into a salad dressing or other dish with many ingredients, the subtle differences are less clear and likely go unnoticed unless you are really looking for it.

What is really notable among different hardnecks, for me, is that Music and similar porcelains retain their flavor in cooking, which makes them a really all purpose favorite. SR for example you would have to use special techniques such as adding very late in the cooking process, or lose the taste altogether. That is fine for a special dish, if you know what you have to do. And maybe SR makes a great garlic powder with distinct flavor - something I'll likely try this year. Still the raw product is more suitable for chefs, 'foodies' like us, or for a business plan with special purposes like garlic powder production, afaict.

So for me as well as any other 'average consumer' you can't go wrong with the porcelains, as the easiest product to use with satisfaction, no matter what dish you're making cooked or raw. I might add others to that category too, which I'm growing up but haven't had enough to eat more than a clove or two, so haven't tried cooking with them yet.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote