View Single Post
Old May 3, 2018   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

They are beautiful, Tom! Really nice pic showing the difference in size and leaf color too.

I wondered about the porcelains, and whether there are any real differences in varieties, after reading that they are "genetically identical". But there do seem to be genuine differences.
@ako1974 we tried Leningrad at the farm a few years ago, and I had one bulb I planted here and grew it for two years, but they didn't make the cut in either location due to being a bit too late to size up in our short season. Music otoh, and some others Argentina, Northern Quebec, are vigorous and early and large. I think German Extra Hardy is another porcelain with the same reputation? I have one more called 'Susan Delafield' I'm trying to grow up from bulbils, but only had one bulb survive from the rounds - they are not up yet so keeping my fingers crossed. There are 65 second year cloves of Music planted in those other beds, just starting to come through the ground.
And the 2nd year Kostyn's Red Russian is up, which I believe is a Marbled Purple Stripe and seems to be quite early too.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote