View Single Post
Old February 19, 2018   #71
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

For hot sauce, this is my go to recipe. I usually only use one type of pepper for each batch since I like to have the flavor of the individual peppers. I've made it with everything from Jalapeños to Aji Limons, and even with lightly smoked peppers --

Master Hot Sauce Recipe

3/4 pound stemmed fresh chiles (such as jalapeño, serrano, Fresno, or habanero; use one variety or mix and match)
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 1/8 cups distilled white vinegar

Variations:
3/4 -1 1/2 minced garlic cloves
Pinch of cumin

Pulse chiles and kosher salt in a food processor until a coarse purée forms. Transfer to a 1-qt. glass jar, loosely screw on lid, and let stand at room temperature for 12 hours to ferment slightly (I let it go for longer, 1-2 days).

Stir in vinegar and loosely screw on lid. Let chile mixture stand at room temperature for at least 1 day and up to 7 days. (Taste it daily; the longer it sits, the deeper the flavor becomes.)

Purée mixture (with garlic and cumin, if using) in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Place a fine-mesh sieve inside a funnel. Strain mixture through sieve into a clean glass bottle. (Hot sauce will become thinner and may separate after you strain it; shake vigorously before each use.)
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote