View Single Post
Old September 4, 2009   #10
cdbva
Tomatovillian™

Basil is the reason I asked for an Aerogarden for my birthday six months ago. And I have to say it does a wonderful job. I planted some basil outside this year, but probably won't next year. The one plant in the Aerogarden produces almost enough for everything. I'll start another basil sometime soon and then will be able to make all the pesto we want for two people.

The flavor (Genovese) is outstanding. I've preserved basil in the freezer, and it works well, but nothing compares with fresh. Well, I take that back. Homegrown preserved is probably better than the fresh stuff you can get in winter at the grocery store, which is often rather weak, IMO.

Lest this seem too much like an advertisement, I should mention that some of the other herbs haven't done much in the AG. The oregano was good but my outdoor oregano is better, and since a few leaves survive during the winter, I don't really need it. Am now trying to nurse along parsley and cilantro, and the jury's still out on those.

It would be very interesting to try some heirloom tomatoes in an AG. I'm surprised no one here has done it.

But anyway. That's my way of getting good basil in the winter.

Christine
cdbva is offline   Reply With Quote